Monday, January 12, 2015

Blending Science and Theology

Blending Science and Theology

Seems like a oxymoron doesn’t it…blending science and theology.  For centuries the two have sat on opposite ends of the fence, one exists without the other, no room for inclusion.  As therapists we go through school and learn about the science.  As Christians we go to church and learn about the theology, then we get into the therapy room and the client asks for the theology when all we learned was the science.  Or in the church counseling room the client asks about the science when all we learned was the theology.  Is there room for both?  Can they coexist?  Does one have to be done to the exclusion of the other? 

As a clinician who is committed to excellence in the scientific field of psychology I was met with these questions early on in my career.  My answers surprisingly came through my theology.  As a believer I am committed to living Christ out to the best of my ability, through excellence.  To do that, I have to study, learn, prepare, dig, sit, pray, read, listen.  As I journeyed in excellence in both the sciences and the theology, God showed up in both.  Imagine that!  One way that God began connecting the two for me was through the combination of Bowlby’s attachment model, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR Therapy), and the use of mindfulness based therapies.  Empirical data through the use of science has shown all of these models of therapy to be effective in working with clients who have experienced a history of trauma. 

Click here to read some of this data:





So much of the information that I was learning was Biblically based.  Attachment theory is written all throughout scriptures.  God’s creation of man for connection then the creation of Eve as connection for Adam, The Psalms, Ecclesiastes, the instructions to the new church in the New Testament, all filled with messages of attachment.  Some of my favorites are:
Genesis 1:26-31
Genesis 2:18
Genesis 2:24-25
Psalm 22
Matthew 22:37-40


As I began to understand they are intertwined I began to find creative ways to use the blending in my work with clients.  One such technique I use is a guided imagery called “The Attachment to Jesus”.  I also add bilateral stimulation to Resource this with EMDR Therapy model, however this technique can be done without the bilateral and used only as guided imagery tool.  This technique is designed with the principles of creating secure attachment (safe touch, eye contact, affirming and calming words) and through guided imagery, allowing someone to experience the creation of an attachment moment to their Savior.   Through the use of this technique, client’s have experienced powerful moments with Jesus that may never have been experienced otherwise.  As always, I am prayerful in my approach to the technique and work to prepare a space that is open and centered on building relationship with the Savior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment