Friday, June 2, 2017

Getting Your Money's Worth




As I move into different seasons of my life I have reflected on seasons gone by to see if there is anything I can glean from my time there.  It’s interesting that as I am now more in the supervisory role I reflect on my time in the learner role.  I have often asked myself, “did I get my money’s worth?”  For me it’s a value thing.  Did what I walk away with equal what I invested into it.   I have realized it’s more about what I personally invested vs. what I monetarily invested.  The experiences where I allowed myself to be vulnerable, (not knowing), showing up in my mistakes and insecurities were the most valuable of all.  So it’s interesting that it wasn’t necessarily about the supervisor I worked with, but what I brought into the supervisory process, that made it valuable. 

Now on the giving end of supervision I see the same truth.  Those supervisees who come prepared with hard questions, wanting to explore their mistakes, who are willing to show up and be taught in their uncertainty are the clinicians who grow so much.  The value of our time together is time and money well spent.  On this end of the relationship I so enjoy the invitation into another clinician’s growth process. 

When continuing to grow as a clinician and move through hard things, get your money’s worth!
             A) Be vulnerable-  what are you unsure of, what are mistakes you may have made, what are                      uncertainties about moving forward.
             B)  Be prepared- write out your case in a conceptualizing way: history, facts, clinical opinions,                 safety concerns, legal and ethics, treatment goals, where you are stuck.
             C)  Be Teachable- take in the feedback and be curious about it. Ask questions about how to apply             the feedback. Write down the feedback and form a plan.

We are always learning and growing in our profession and often have limited time and resources set aside for this growth.  To make the most of what you have, invest wisely with vulnerability, preparedness, and teachability.




No comments:

Post a Comment